Monday, April 9

Romans 8:35

Romans 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?

Just as no one can separate us from the light of the sun, no one can separate us from the love of Christ. The photo above shows the sun shining physical light into the world. Jesus Christ came into the world to shine spiritual light and be the savior for those that God predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ. This amazing grace is final, and none of the calamities mentioned in this verse can separate believers from the love of Christ. While these troubles have fallen upon Christians in the past and will in the future, they are not an indication of separation of the love Christ from the elect. As Paul has already stated in verse 18, these physical worldly sufferings are not worth comparing to the spiritual reality of the glory to come. Therefore, let us remain faithful to the Word of God and not be cowed or intimidated by the prince of this world as we see his influence increase in our secular dominated culture.

Praise God that though our bodies they may kill, his love for us is secure from any temporal or spiritual foe.


12 comments:

mark pierson said...

I'm glad it is God holding on to us and not the other way around.

jazzycat said...

Mark,
Good point. That is the definition of eternal security and perseverance that Scripture tells us never fails.
wayne

Even So... said...

Amen!

donsands said...

Paul tells us that suffering doesn't compare.
Who is he to tell anyone about suffering?

Oh, ... that's right he suffered a little. 2 Cor. 11:24-28

Very encouraging post. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I have a question. Why is it that reformed theology gets accused of asserting that one can lose one's salvation? I've read that in more than one place.

P.S. - Wayne did you read my Thinking Blogger post?

jazzycat said...

J.D., donsands, and Gayla,
Thanks all...
Gayla,
I believe some misunderstand that perseverance is a work of God's grace that man cooperates with and not man doing works for justification. Sanctification is what we are called to do through the enabling of God's grace.

Some, especially in the free grace movement, seem to mischaractrize this doctrine on purpose to make FG look more biblical. Antonio and others slander reformed theology at every opportunity and accuse us of promoting a works salvation. I challanged Antonio last summer to look through the photo meditations that I had on my site and show one instance where I affirmed a works salvation. He hasn't replied and will not be able to because it is not there. I wrote about 52 of them long before I had a blog so they were not sanitized in any way to avoid this charge.

I will respond to the thinking blogging award soon. Thanks for your blogging work...

Wayne

Baptist Girl said...

Great Post Jazzcat.
It sometimes can get tough but the outcome is so worth it.



Cristina

Scribe said...

The entire 8th chapter of Romans is like the Lord's magnum opus on the saint's salvific security. What a great reminder that the Lord is the Provider and Sustainer of biblical salvation.

jazzycat said...

Cristina and Scribe,
Thanks and we should be encouraged that grace will be provided for being faithful.

Shiloh Guy said...

Jazz,

I suspect that things could become much more difficult for American believers in the days to come. I think that will be the time when we really begin to understand the comfort these verses offer us.

And I almost started singing A Mighty Fortress with you last line!

Dave

Scribe said...

"Thanks and we should be encouraged that grace will be provided for being faithful."

Amen Jazzy...no cheap grace belied here...


"And I almost started singing A Mighty Fortress with your last line!"

What an awesome hymn apropos for a time of suffering, Dave.

The body they may kill,
God's truth abideth still...

donsands said...

"grace will be provided for being faithful."
Amen.
And grace to be faithful.

It's mysterious really.

Paul says, "But by the grace of God I am what I am: and His grace which was upon me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all: yet not I but the grace of God which was with me." 1 Cor 15:10