Sunday, November 23

Romans 1:7-15

Romans 1:7-15 To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world. For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I mention you always in my prayers, asking that somehow by God's will I may now at last succeed in coming to you. For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you— that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. I want you to know, brothers, that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you as well as among the rest of the Gentiles. I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish. So I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome.

Just as Air Force pilots are under obligation to the Air Force due to their very expensive training, Paul asserts in verse 14 that he is also under obligation. In this epistle to the Christians in Rome, Paul states that he is under obligation to preach the gospel of God. After beginning this epistle by explaining his call, role, and purpose, Paul in these verses turns to addressing the recipients of his call to apostleship. By addressing this letter to the saints in Rome he is, by extension in scope, including all future believers. What is the gospel of God that Paul referred to in verse 1?

The gospel is the good news of salvation through Jesus Christ, and Paul says he is under obligation to preach it to the believers in Rome. What reason would he have to preach the gospel to believers other than to insure that they understood it correctly? While salvation comes from faith and not knowledge, it is obvious that Paul, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, asserts the importance of correct doctrinal knowledge. In the Epistle to the Romans, Paul thoroughly explains the gospel of God for both believers and unbelievers. This is a gospel that is in eclipse in our day as many claim Christ but refuse to believe parts that go against worldly principles. Others claim that the gospel is not valid at all or if it is valid, the details are not important. Praise God that Paul has thoroughly explained it for those who have ears to hear both now and forevermore.

2 comments:

mark pierson said...

Thanks for your influence in my blog-life as you provide me with a model of one standing tirelessly for THE TRUTH.

jazzycat said...

Thank you Brother Mark. I look forward to meeting you in person either in this life or in our heavenly home. I hope you and your family have a great thanksgiving day.