Wednesday, May 30

Romans 3:21-22A (The good news)

Romans 3:21-22a But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it-- the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe.

In the photo above, the moon gives the appearance of glowing as if it were producing its own light. However, the light that is seen is actually coming from the sun. Paul begins an explanation of the good news of the gospel by asserting that men can have righteousness from God through faith in Jesus Christ. This righteousness is not dependent on the law or on anything men can do in and of themselves. Just like moonlight does not come from the moon, this required righteousness does not come from men. Moonlight comes from the sun and the required righteousness comes from Jesus Christ.

Paul has just finished a lengthy portion of Scripture where he has pointed out that all men are ungodly and unrighteous and have absolutely no hope or desire to become righteous. They are under the wrath of God and do not have the ability to reconcile themselves to God. Man has, in fact, offended a holy and just God and cannot save himself from God’s wrath and just penalty. But now, as Paul says, God has intervened and provided what man cannot acquire on his own. He has provided the righteousness of God that is acquired through faith. Further, The Old Testament has pointed to this from the beginning of the Scriptures.

Praise God that He provides what he requires for reconciling sinful mankind to himself.

10 comments:

mark pierson said...

"But now, as Paul says, God has intervened and provided what man cannot acquire on his own. He has provided the righteousness of God that is acquired through faith."

RIGHT ON!!!

donsands said...

Our salvation is 100% pure God. We have no portion, not even a millionth of a fraction of a part, so there's no boasting, none.

Another nice post. Nice photo too.

Susan said...

Jazzy, I love how you can say sooo much in a few words. A real gift there. I love the analogy of the moon. Yes, we are nothing unless we let the sun (SON) shine upon and illuminate us.
Susan

Char said...

Great post! You are really inspiring me to dig deeper in The Word! I'll be back to look again!

jazzycat said...

Mark and donsands,
Thanks. I'm glad to now get to talk about the good news of redemption.

Susan,
That really makes me feel good as I strive to be concise. I confuse myself if I don't keep things fairly short.

Char,
Really nice to hear from someone that lives in South Africa. Come again soon.

Craver Vii said...

That was a perfect meditation for last night as we gazed at a full moon overhead.

For a couple of nights last week, there was also an glorious corona surrounding the bright moonlight. But again, the moon is not the source. It is amazing to see only inasmuch as it reflects the light of the sun.

*goosebumps*

Craver Vii said...

"an glorious corona?" I meant "a glorious corona."

Baptist Girl said...

Amen jazz, Praise God!

Cristina

Marcian said...

For some reason, this is all starting to come into view for me. Faith. I struggle sometimes with my own righteousness, perhaps by not being as gracious or kind as perhaps is second nature to someone else. But then I realize that without faith, it is impossible to please God. An unbeliever may be more gracious than I am, and while it is something to work toward out of loyalty to my Lord, it is not what saves me. I am hidden in Christ, for He is the only One whose righteousness is acceptable to God. Praise Him!!!

jazzycat said...

Marcian,
Very true.